All organizations have policies and procedures that guide how decisions are made and how the work is done in that organization. Professionally written policies and procedures increase organizational accountability and transparency and are fundamental to quality/standards assurance and quality improvement.
Want to run this event in-house? Enquire about running this event in-house
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
All organizations have policies and procedures that guide how decisions are made and how the work is done in that organization. Professionally written policies and procedures increase organizational accountability and transparency and are fundamental to quality/standards assurance and quality improvement. Policies and procedures help organizations to commit themselves explicitly to the development of a culture that recognises the importance of quality, and quality assurance, in their work. To achieve this, institutions should develop and implement a strategy for the continuous enhancement of quality. This program explains how.
This virtual course consists of three sessions of 4 hours each. We recommend a phased approach with an interval of at least one week between sessions. These intervals are used to apply the ideas acquired during each session in each participant’s normal work. This ensures that the progression from theory to practice is realized.
This courses uses (Zoom or WebEx) online technology. Full instructions will be given to facilitate easy access. Participants will receive PowerPoint slides, a guide to writing policies and procedures and, if requested, a recording of each session is available to download for one month after each session. Once downloaded, however, you can keep and review the content as often as required. Participants will be invited to join a secure LinkedIn Group where they will have access to course materials, share materials and have their questions answered.
- Identify the necessity for having good organizational policies and procedures.
- Understand the differences between ‘policies’ and ‘procedures’.
- Understand the link between an organization’s values, and its policies and procedures.
- Learn the process of writing clear policies and procedures.
- Examine writing formats and writing styles.
- Practice writing clear, effective, policies and procedures.
- Understand the necessity of regularly updating, reviewing, and revising our organization’s policies and procedures.
Session 1: Introduction to the Program (4 hours)
- How we will work together virtually.
- Why write policies and procedures? When are they needed?
- Who (should) develop guidelines for writing and using policies and procedures?
- The difference between policies, procedures and processes.
- How policies and procedures relate to the achievement of strategic goals and organisational values.
Session 2: Documentation Hierarchy (4 Hours)
- Documentation hierarchy: policies, procedures, work instructions and records.
- Writing a policy (clearly and concisely).
- Writing a procedure (clearly and concisely).
- Process mapping.
- How much documentation is enough when writing a procedure?
- Writing a work instruction.
Session 3: How to Ensure Policies and Procedures Stay Current? (4 Hours)
- Policy and procedure administrator.
- Document control.
- Approval process.
- Distribution and sign off.
- Regular update review.